In ancient times the gulf of Cattolica together with the cliff in Gabicce Mare and the Promontory of Fiorenzuola di Focara were well known by those who sailed following the Spina Routes in the delta of the Po river.
The thirteenth Century Nautical charts marked this special part of
the Adriatic coast as “PORTUS” for commercial products. However the city of Rimini with its big Harbour did not want Cattolica to have a Port, therefore for centuries Rimini opposed its construction. That is the reason why it was only from 1825 that the Town of Cattolica
could officially have its Port.
Since then, the Town of Cattolica has become one of the most important fishing Harbours in the Emila Romagna Region.